Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Speak to me

I apologize for the short interruption for my update on the girls day.  This is my last post on the trip with Fox River.

We had a couple of team members that wanted to get baptized so one of the days after we had finished up at the clinic and at VBS we headed down to the waterfall.  I love watching people make this public declaration of their faith and taking that next step into what God is calling them.  As I watched Kevin and Brittany get baptized I remember thinking about the power in saying "yes" to God in whatever it is He might be calling of us.  It is hard sometimes to do the things He asks. I love the song "In the River" by Jesus Culture.  This day, when they got baptized it really felt like life was all around.  God was bringing new energy and new excitement into these lives, all of our lives as we allowed it! 


Fox River always takes a day to reflect and remember what God has done in the week.  We take some time to just hang out and have some fun with our friends and ministry partners.  This year we went to the beach!  It was so fun and so painful at the same time!! haha!  The waves were brutal that day.  It was most of the Nicas first time at the beach and sharing in that experience with them was super fun!  As we ventured out into the water we clung to each other, hoping that we would not be taken down by the waves.  We stood our ground some of the time...and other times our feet were swept out from under us! As I write this now I think that is a perfect depiction of how the Church is supposed to be.  United against the waves in this life, but also in times of struggle when we are knocked down and being there with those who are to help them back up. But I digress, it was refreshing to be able to take these moments of time together.


After lunch we had some time of sharing what God had done in our own lives, and what He was asking of us coming out of the week.  This is one of my very favorite times of the entire week because we get to come around each other and lift each other up.  We get to share some of our struggles and know that we will not be judged, but that those we share with will be praying for us.  It is such a sweet time of trust and love.  These are the moments I truly feel like we are one in the body of Christ.  After our time of sharing we took some time to look upward.  To talk with God about what He has asked of us.

As I listened for what God would say to me I stood on the beach and watched the waves.  They would roll in and crash together creating something so beautiful and fierce.  The longer I looked out on the ocean the smaller I felt.  I thought about how big our God is and how detailed He is in creation, I thought about how intricately placed all things are.  And I wondered why He chose me.  In all of the world and all of the people...why me?  And I couldn't stand anymore.  The longer I thought about it the more humbled I became.  God revealed to me that though I had given myself to Him, there were still things I was holding onto that I needed to let go of.  If I was going to truly serve Him to the extent  He has called me I needed to let it all go.  God asked me a long time ago to follow Him into the unknown, the deep, the dark, the scary.  Where the wind and waves threaten to take me over.  Where I can't see whats in front of me, or where I am going.  Where I don't know what is out there with me... and I thought I had, maybe I did at the time.  But I have picked up new fears and struggles along the way and have begun holding on to these things. Some things that may not be bad but because I put them above Him have become a hurdle for me. I struggled with God for I don't know how long that day.  I know it has become really cliche in the christian realm, but the song that kept rolling through my head was Oceans, by Hillsong, "Spirit lead me where my trust is without boarders". As I watched the waves build and roll and diminish I decided it was time I stopped letting them push me around.  I would step out in confidence of what my Father has told me. There is no place I can go where He won't find me. When I keep my eyes locked on Him my steps become clearer and I don't have to fear what I can't see because He sees.  I have to keep my focus on Him.

Choosing to focus on Him is a daily choice.  It is sometimes an hourly choice.  To say no to whatever threatens to distract and keep looking to God.  Some people might think that spending the summer serving Him would make this easier...but I am here to tell you that no matter the amount of ministry you do there will always be something that is trying to take your focus.  We have to stand strong and fight together against the distractions of this world.  God has given us everything we need and it starts with prayer.  Prayer for ourselves and prayer for each other.

Would you pray, that my focus would be continually on God and what He is asking of me?  For the moments I let my focus stray that I would be brought back to Him.  Praise Him for the people He has placed in my life to remind me to let the little things go and remain in Him!

 "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.  And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.  If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing."                                                                                                                                  1 Corinthians 13:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment